The Long News: stories that might still matter fifty, or a hundred, or ten thousand years from now.
We may have Google-mapped every last nook and cranny of our planet, but we’re still finding ways to push back the limits of what we know. A few recent discoveries:
1. Could Mars have sustained life? New images show evidence of ancient Martian lake
2. Further into outer space: Black hole is most massive known
3. Closer to home: Sub explores ocean’s deepest trench
4. Pushing back our understanding of our own history (it seems the gatherers, not the hunters, invented agriculture): Food storage began well before farming
5. The invention of food storage on a smaller scale: Chinese pottery may be earliest discovered
6. And this story (found by Will Hill) of a species almost as successful as we are: Ant mega-colony takes over world
We invite you to submit Long News story suggestions here.
More from History —
Explore over two decades of long-term thinking
- Climate Change