The Long Now Foundation is seeking an experienced and creative social media manager to lead its social media efforts across platforms.
We are looking for more than a “marketing guru” or “social media ninja.” We are looking for an avid learner and generalist with a solid grounding in the humanities — someone with the research skills to dig deeper into the sources and studies behind a pop science piece going viral on social media, the critical thinking skills to separate fact from sensationalism, and the writing skills to translate your findings for a general audience.
We’re looking for someone with a deep interest in the ideas, debates, and fields of research pertinent to Long Now; someone who is self-directed but collaborative, with the ability to thrive on a small but growing nonprofit team; someone who possesses the expertise to analyze performance metrics and manage social media campaigns; and someone with the discipline to maintain a consistent daily output of social content.
Above all, we are looking for someone who is excited by the challenge of extending Long Now’s global reach as our organization seeks to become the center of gravity for long-term projects and long-term thinkers around the world.
The Social Media Manager reports to Long Now’s Director of Strategy, but will also work closely with Long Now’s senior staff leadership on the organization’s overall social strategy.
This full-time position can be done remotely (US only), but will be expected to be available during Pacific Time Zone working hours. Compensation is commensurate with experience, $50,000 - $70,000.
To apply, send an email to email@example.com with the subject line: “Social Media Manager: [Your Name].” Please include a cover letter, resume, and 1-3 sample social media posts that Long Now might create. Note the intended social platform for each post, and include or describe any visual component.
- Create on-brand, compelling social content and manage publishing and engagement across platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.
- Promote Long Now’s mission, events, programs, research, and initiatives through both organic and paid social media.
- Collaborate with the Programs, Editorial, and Development teams to gather, write, and edit social content around our events, programs, project updates, and fundraising campaigns.
- Work closely with Long Now’s senior staff leadership on the organization’s social media strategy, developing social best practices, and communicating those practices across the organization.
- Launch Long Now channels on platforms such as Instagram.
- Identify opportunities to leverage Long Now’s robust archive of long-term thinking content.
- Keep track of the Long Now brand across all channels, surfacing emerging events and conversations to senior staff leadership and collaborating with them on responses as appropriate.
- Help determine the impact of Long Now’s social media outreach; analyze and review effectiveness of organic efforts and paid campaigns and regularly share those insights with senior staff leadership to help evolve ongoing social media strategy.
- Manage, balance, and regularly report on social media budget.
- A solid understanding of current and emerging social media platforms, their audiences, engagement norms, and trends.
- Excellent writing skills, with the ability to write consistently great copy without extensive supervision.
- A grounding in the humanities with a deep interest in the issues, debates and disciplines pertinent to Long Now (e.g., long-term thinking, the future of technology, history of civilization, etc).
- Competency in basic research, synthesis, and critical thinking.
- Ability to adapt individual voice to fit Long Now’s voice.
- Self-directed but collaborative, with an ability to work with a small but growing team.
- Ability to balance immediate detail-oriented responsibilities with longer view, strategic responsibilities.
- Experience using social media scheduling, monitoring, and engagement tools (e.g., native Facebook and Twitter tools, Buffer, Hootsuite, Sprout, etc.).
- Ability to analyze and report on social media performance metrics.
Preferred but not required:
- 3-5 years of social media experience.
- A knowledge of and interest in the history and projects of The Long Now Foundation.
- Background in managing social media for nonprofits, museums, or academic/cultural institutions.
- Experience in executing nonprofit fundraising campaigns on social media, such as Giving Tuesday and end-of-year campaigns.
- Experience with in-person and online event promotion.
- Photography and design experience; familiarity with Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign.
- Familiarity with creating social videos for Instagram Stories, TikTok, etc.
- Familiarity with Trello.
About Long Now
The Long Now Foundation is a center of gravity for long-term projects and long-term thinkers around the world.
Humanity has achieved civilization-scale impact; our work aims to meet that with civilization-scale thinking. We strive to be good ancestors by preserving possibilities for the future.
All our projects and programs invite you to contemplate the long now — a broader sense of this present moment which expands to include the next and last 10,000 years.
Ideas, tools, and projects that aid long-term thinking are incubated, built, and supported by The Long Now Foundation.
The Long Now Foundation is hiring for a full-time Membership Associate position. We are looking for a new team member who is detail oriented, values excellent customer service and is always willing to go the extra mile for our members and donors. This position would support Membership Coordinator, Director of Programs, and other staff to keep our Membership program running smoothly. We are a small, ambitious, flexible and fast-paced team.
About Long Now:
The Long Now Foundation was established in 01996 to develop the Clock and Library projects, as well as to become the seed of a very long-term cultural institution. The Long Now Foundation hopes to provide a counterpoint to today's accelerating culture and help make long-term thinking more common. We hope to foster responsibility in the framework of the next 10,000 years.
Long Now Talks explore compelling ideas on long-term thinking from speakers around the world. You can watch the videos, subscribe to our podcasts, and read about our ideas, interviews, projects, stories and musings spanning the deep past into the far future.
- Member Customer Service: Responding to emails and event inquiries in a timely and professional manner. Address and resolve member questions regarding their accounts, our projects, live and online event support and general requests. Clear and professional communication, working across different office systems, issue and request tracking and follow-up are all key aspects of Member Customer Service.
- Membership Fulfillment: Preparing and assembling new member welcome packets as well as donor gift fulfillment. Tracking inventory, address research, artful package assembly, careful coordination of gift items to recipients and clear communication and follow through are all key components of this work.
- Event Support: Long Now Talks and other events are held online and we are starting up in-person talks again in San Francisco, this fall. In addition to answering event-related inquiries, the Member Associate will be part of the teams that handle both online event setup & moderation, and run the ticketing & front of house for live events. Great customer service and teamwork are key for this role.
- Interval Tours and Rentals Support: The Interval is Long Now's bar, cafe, museum & library space which members and the public can rent for special events. This position will work directly with our team of knowledgeable producers to help create an exceptional experience for our members and patrons who rent the space. Being part of the Interval rentals support team will develop and hone a wide and useful event organization skill set.
This is an hourly full-time position with some evening work needed for events. The pay is $20 - $22 per hour, depending on experience, and includes benefits. This position could be a great fit for recent graduates with some retail, customer service, or internship experience.
Long Now's offices are located at Fort Mason Center in San Francisco, and the organization offers a hybrid work schedule. Much of the work can be done from home, but some aspects of the job including the Membership Fulfillment and live event work will either take place in our physical office space or at venues in the area.
Long Now and our partner venues have policies and procedures around COVID that are in place to keep our staff, members, and the public as safe as possible, and to comply with local and state guidelines. Cooperation and compliance around these policies and procedures are required of all of our staff members.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong organizational abilities & attention to detail.
- Understanding of the role of good customer service.
- Familiarity with Apple and Google workplace tools.
- Enthusiasm for teamwork and collaboration.
- Flexible, can-do attitude and a willingness to learn new skills.
- Clear and timely communications with supervisor.
- Some experience in proofreading is preferred.
To apply, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: “Membership Program Associate: [Your Name].” Please include a cover letter either attached as a PDF or pasted in the body of your email, and a resume either attached as a PDF or linked to in the body of your email.