The Interval is looking for an Administrative Manager. The Interval is an award-winning bar and cafe located in Fort Mason created and operated by The Long Now Foundation. The right candidate will have a background in the service industry with a focus on bars. This position can include some floor shifts to make a it a full-time job, or it could be a part-time management role. This position is ideally suited to someone who has run a bar, or is interested in opening their own bar at some point, and has excellent organization and administrative skills. Some of the duties will include:
Applicants should send an email to email@example.com that discusses relevant experience and why this position is of interest, along with the text of your resume or list of past work. All information sent should be in the body of the email (Please do not send attachments as they will not be opened).
The Long Now Foundation seeks a technical lead who can help us envision, build, and maintain our digital initiatives for the next 10,000 years. The right candidate deeply understands web technologies, and wants to apply that understanding in service of the long-term vision Long Now is known for.
You would help build and maintain digital interfaces to all of Long Now’s work, including the Rosetta Project, the world’s largest open-source linguistic archive; the 10,000 Year Clock; Revive and Restore, our efforts in de-extinction and genetic rescue; and Long Bets, our competitive prediction and betting project. You would also work with media from our speaking series, featuring top scholars of their respective field discussing long-term thinking. This is the first time this position has been open in 12 years, and you will have a nice friendly hand off with the current lead.
Long Now maintains several Django and Wordpress based websites, making extensive use of Python to customize those platforms to support needs like media management for our events, and maintenance of our multi-thousand person membership system with recurring billing. We embrace open source software and openly defined standards as one of the primary paths for long term digital development.
• Envision and advise on the overall direction of Long Now's digital projects
• Develop, coordinate, and quality control new code to support new and ongoing projects
• Manage design and development efforts by consultants and volunteers
• Maintain ownership of our code base
• Administrate our virtualized servers
• Automate tasks with scripting (python and bash)
• Track bugs and fixes
• Administrate Google Apps for Work account for Long Now staff
• Experience with Amazon Web Services (API and console)
• Experience integrating a variety of third-party APIs
• Experience with version control systems, especially git and GitHub
• Experience maintaining continuous integration and deployment environments for web services
• Strong understanding of how to build and manage data schemas and RESTful services
• Strong understanding of UNIX systems and system security
• Understanding of test-driven development, including the ability to write and manage unit, regression, and system tests
• Understanding of how to automate systems using scripts and SysOps services
• Understanding of basic front-end engineering, especially CSS. Experience with CSS pre-processors a plus (we use LESS).
This could be a part time to full time position depending on how much development effort this lead can take on independently without needed to outsource to contractors. Long Now will make our best efforts to make the pay commensurate with skills and experience, while offering a highly visionary working environment and access to all of our talks and events. We offer a work space at The Interval, our headquarters at Fort Mason in San Francisco, but we are open to a mix of on-site and remote work for the right candidate.
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org including:
• A few sentences about why this position interests you and how it fits your background and qualifications
• A link to something resume-like (Linked In, your website etc.)
• Any other links you'd like us to see (your blog, your GitHub profile)
• A one paragraph answer to the question of your choice:
- What was the last good book you read on programming or software development?
- What's your favorite open-source library? Why?
- What is your favorite programming language, and what are three things you'd change about it?
Please do not send attachments of any kind — they will not be opened.
The Long Now Foundation seeks to add one or more persons to its PanLex team to help build the world’s most multilingual database of lexical translations. Team researchers identify translated words in thousands of languages documented in many digital and paper formats. We are looking for someone who can read two or more languages and has programming experience, ideally in Python and Perl.
As a PanLex Source Analyst you will use open-source tools, the PanLex tool library, and your own custom code to parse and restructure digital sources. More details on the PanLex website.
For this position, you should be comfortable with regular expressions and have experience programming in Python or Perl or the ability to learn one of these quickly on your own. Ideally, you should also be familiar with text and HTML parsing, with multiple Unicode scripts and their encodings, with a few human languages, and with linguistic concepts. You can expect to meet with other team members once a week and to confer by email as needed, but mainly to work independently. Please review some of the documentation linked above before applying.
Depending on your situation, you may work as an employee or an independent contractor, and the work can be full- or part-time. To apply, send an email to email@example.com with your resume or CV and a brief description of your interest and qualifications.